Thursday, February 5, 2009

Moving Along the Exhibition Schedule



The next task was to play the second exhibition game. I figured that playing it would help me to knock off my rust in actually playing the game itself. And this next time, I would remember - 300 Fast Action Cards per each college half.

The next team I decided to create was one called the "Houston Bobcats", which would be related to the real life exhibition squad known as the Houston Jaguars. The Jaguars are a team of ex-college basketball players who play exhibitions against current college teams.

If you go to the roster page, you find nothing but pictures. (Clicking the pictures just gives you...larger pictures). So my next task was trying to find something approaching an active roster for this squad. The advantage was that if I couldn't find stats for some of the players on the roster, I could just mine old team statistics and pick other players from the older teams.

I ended up with a list of players from all over the place. Most of them were old University of Houston players. One was a former NC State player, the other was an ex Texas A&M player. One was from Houston Baptist. Another was from Linsdey Wilson college in Kentucky, of all places!

I had the stats for each player, but how much weight should I put on each player's stats? I simply used the weighting system I mentioned in the previous posts. A player's stats were weighted by the strength of the conference from which she came from. For conferences off the scale like the NAIA Lindsey Wilson player, I can't remember what I did exactly, but her stats were devalued appropriately.

The next task was typing the data into the Cardmaker Excel sheet, making the multiplications, determining home game winning percentages and points for and points against in an NBA-type season, entering the data into the Cardmaker Excel spreadsheet, and coming up with the result.

I'll post the fictional Bobcats next.

No comments:

Post a Comment