Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Exhibition Game - UTEP 42, Central Oklahoma 40



I can remember that very first time I put on the uniform in college and played in a real game. God, that was a slog fest. I started, but it had been a long time since I had played in high school, and I guess I was a little tenative. I looked way ugly out there, and finally coach screams at me to sit my ass down.

She kept me there the who first half. That was the slowest damn game. The score was like 16-15, which had to set some kind of a record. Finally, coach puts me out there again. I looked a lot better and scored 10 points. Coach said that Central Oklahoma would run the fastbreak. I didn't see it though. That's the kind of game I'd be embarrassed to talk up, but we won it and I'll take it. It's a shame it doesn't count.


- Brenda Dean

(* * *)

One of the most important questions that has to be answered is "what would be the right number of cards to use in a college game?"

The pace of an NBA game goes through 180 cards in the Fast Action Deck - per quarter. So here's what the answer should be....

***180 cards per 12 minute quarter equals 300 cards per 20 minute half.***

The difference between a 24 minute shot clock and a 30 minute shot clock should be ignored - we'll assume that college players simply use the extra six seconds setting up the offense.

For some reason, however, I came up with 192 cards per half. I'm trying to retrace the way I came to that number and I can't figure out how I came with 192. But I went with it, and you can see the results - a very low-scoring game.

Furthermore, I bumped into some record keeping issues. There is a result on the ADVANCE card that says "Use Passer Assist Rating for Shot". Here's the big question: do you count assists only when they come off the 'use passer assist' result, or is an assist given to the person who had the ball before the last shooter took the shot?

Since I couldn't land one way or the other, I didn't count assists for this game. I counted everything else, though. You can take a peek at the boxscore:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

As it turned out, the "300 cards = one half" figure was confirmed by another source. Have you heard of Phil Graham? Phil Graham is a creator of Statis Pro Basketball cards and card sets and his website is right here. On his catalog page, he happens to mention that he has a special deck of 300 Fast Action Cards to be used - the advantage is that the 180 cards that come with the game don't need to be reshuffled.

I made a note of that. The next game, I would use 300 cards per half.

As for Brenda Dean's performance, it was not bad despite that I picked up a "Z Result" on the ACTION phase of the game. "Z Results" are all the out-of-the ordinary occurences in the game. The game forced her to rest "for one quarter" - I read "quarter" as "half" - and Dean would sit for the remainder of the first half. The best shooter on the team, she got the ball a lot during the second half and led the team.

Okay. Lessons learned. Next up for UTEP: a team I'll call the "Houston Bobcats" which is an all-star team of former players.

No comments:

Post a Comment