Sunday, March 22, 2009

Game Nine - UTEP 80, Utah 77



"I don't know how good we're supposed to be. I think we're very sloppy on defense at times - look who is talking! - but I was very happy to get that win in Salt Lake City. I had never been to Salt Lake City before and the team bus drove by the Mormon Temple. It was beautiful, it made me feel really religious.

Anyway, Utah looked like a bunch of Mormon girls. All tall blondes and only one black girl. We knew these guys were going to be tough and LaToya (Lloyd) was suspended and Marta (Jaworworski) was hurting. We hit the court and we start off with an 8-0 lead in front of the biggest crowd I've seen all year. So we're feeling really good but they catch up to us. They lead by three points at one time, and we're both racing back and forth. By halftime, we're in the lead, 42-39. They keep trying to slow the game down but Coach wants us to gun and they start playing our game. Big mistake on Utah.

The second half is just like the first. Sometimes we lead, sometimes they lead. It's going to come down to who has the last lead of the game. I get five fouls with about six minutes left and I'm sitting on the bench and praying. It's late and Utah is up 71-70. Annie Neal attempts a three pointer and #24 (Sharron Grogg) collides with Annie as she lets go. Annie misses the shot, and they call the Utes for the foul. Annie hits all three of her fre ethows. We're up 73-71.

We keep the lead. They put my roommate, Mackie (Immaculata Suarez) into the game and she finds Annie Neal's sister, Brianna under the basket. Bri hits the shot and gets the foul to put us up 77-73. Then Bri hits the free throw and I know that we've won this game.

Damn. UTAH AIN'T UNDEFEATED ANYMORE! We were all very happy for the win, and I named Mackie the Player of the Game for the way she dished to Bri when Utah was all over her. She doesn't get to play very much because she's a little shaky for being one of Mexico's best players.

I didn't need to see the Mormon Temple on the way back. The only thing I needed to see in Utah, I saw, which was a scoreboard that read 77-80. I don't know how we keep winning, but people better watch out for us.
"

--Brenda Dean

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

It was definitely a great outcome for UTEP. Not only did they manage to go to Utah shorthanded, but they managed a road win that really helps their RPI. Beating a team ranked 26-50 on the road is worth RPI bonus points. Therefore:

AP RPI Rank: #49
Coaches RPI Rank: #50

Not much more to say, except I'm sort of surprised how well UTEP is doing. The real UTEP was 4-5 at this time; it seems that Dean's presence has been at least four more wins. Two of UTEP's wins have come by three points or less - a 74-72 home win over Fresno State and this three-point home win over Utah.

There are three more games in the non-conference part of the season. In the first game, Missouri comes to UTEP in the last home game before the conference part of the season. In the final two games, UTEP attends the fictional "New Mexico Classic", where they play Baylor in the first round and the winner of New Mexico/Idaho State in the second round. If UTEP keeps winning, they might actually deserve an at-large bid.

2 comments:

  1. I'm most amazed you're keeping up with this project in the middle of March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I gotta have something to sustain me when March Madness concludes. Besides, they don't play basketball 24 hours a day (yet).

    ReplyDelete